The History of Coryton House
An old Rectory near Okehampton
The house has historic importance and Grade II listing. It was built as a Rectory in 1836 (William IV) and was described as ‘a handsome residence in the Elizabethan style’. It is Georgian in character, and Tudor in detail. Largely made from dressed stones with ashlar quoins and dressing; slate roofs, gabled at ends. Most of the 1836 fittings are still intact throughout: including stairs, doors, cornices and fireplaces. In the 1940’s a single-story addition was made to north and east, including the front porch. It has been sympathetically updated over recent years.